With the new year, there’s so much to look forward to as a couple, especially as you get ready to walk down the aisle. The beginning of the year offers us a chance to restart and renew our romantic relationships for the better. Start the year off right and commit to strengthening your relationship before you get to the altar — and for many years thereafter. Read ahead for New Year’s resolutions for couples that will help you sustain a healthy and happy partnership.
11 new year’s resolutions to try together
Start the year off strong with these resolutions for couples.
- Connect with your community. As you prepare to build a life together, it’s a good idea to get involved with the community where you plan to lay down roots. Join a community group together or get involved with a local cause you both care about. It’s a great way to bond and give back.
- Make time for your relationship each day. It’s easy to get swept up in the flurry of day to day responsibilities. Carve out quality time for just the two of you each day. Whether it’s cooking meals or enjoying conversation and coffee together, savor the little moments.
- Try out each other’s hobbies. Sharing common interests is important in a romantic relationship. But part of the fun of having a partner is getting to try new things you might not have found on your own. Spend time teaching each other your favorite hobbies. Showing your partner that you care about their passions is a great romantic gesture, too.
- Commit to a regular date night. Keeping the spark alive in a long term relationship is essential. Making time for frequent date nights is a great way to create magic moments. Schedule a date night that works for both of you — and stick to it.
- Be more present with each other. If you want to feel closer to your partner, give them your full attention when it’s time to talk. Set aside the screens and focus on active listening.
- Be generous with compliments. No matter how long you’ve been together, it’s still important to let your partner know how much they mean to you. Don’t be afraid to say all the things you love and admire about them. And the more you praise your partner, the more likely they are to reciprocate.
- Practice good habits. The new year is a time where many folks try to turn around any bad habits picked up over the years. Add positive lifestyle changes to your relationship resolutions and keep each other accountable. It’s easier to make adjustments in our routine, such as incorporating a daily yoga practice or watching less television, if you have a buddy to cheer you on.
- Finish a project together. New Year’s resolutions can be great motivation for tackling that home renovation you’ve been putting off. Restore a piece of furniture together or brighten up that room with a fresh coat of paint. Home projects are always easier, and more fun, with two people.
- Go on an adventure. The new year is all about trying new things. Find a fun activity or experience to try together. Take a trip somewhere you’ve both always wanted to visit or explore nature nearby. Try something thrilling like rock climbing or surfing. The best way to have an adventure is to share it together.
- Be honest in the moment. It can seem easier to ignore what irks us and hope that it will go away eventually. But if you want to improve your relationship, it’s better to be up front with your partner. If you’ve got something on your mind, find a kind and respectful way to express it. It’s better for your partner to address any issue when it arises, instead of way down the road. Committing to full emotional honesty is necessary for maintaining a strong relationship.
- Express appreciation. From doing the dishes to tackling the laundry, the daily chores seem a bit less daunting when the load is shared equally. Make sure to express to each other how much you appreciate each other’s efforts to keep home a happy place to be.
6 tips for building a healthy relationship
The day you say “I do” is just the start. Laying the groundwork for a healthy relationship requires careful tending. Here are a few key mindful actions couples should prioritize for a sound partnership.
- Balance autonomy and time together. Your partner may be your everything, but that doesn’t mean you should do everything together. Maintaining your own interests and friendships can take pressure off the relationship and make you a better partner.
- Ask for what you need. Don’t assume your partner automatically knows what you’re thinking. If there’s something you need in a partnership, don’t be afraid to speak up. It will help keep communication open and honest.
- Make your partner feel heard. Being an attentive listener is central to a healthy relationship. When your partner is talking, give your full undivided attention and engage with what they say. Be aware of nonverbal communication as well. Even if you don’t agree with your partner, do your best to be empathetic and understanding.
- Show that you care. Your partner wants to know that you’re paying attention. Make an effort to ask questions that show you’ve been listening. If they’ve mentioned a big project at work, ask how it’s going. Be curious about their interests. It’ll show how much they mean to you.
- Regularly check in with each other. Even if it’s been years since your wedding day, it’s always good to make sure you’re still on the same page. Have regular conversations to align on your relationship goals. As you journey through life together, it’s always helpful to make sure you’re staying on the same path.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Your partner can’t read minds, and neither can you. Both the bad and the good should be shared to maintain healthy communication habits. When you feel like you can share anything, no problem is insurmountable.
What are the foundations of a strong relationship?
Sticking with your New Year’s relationship resolutions requires a solid foundation to begin with. Healthy relationships mean you and your partner need to show up with trust, respect, and affection. Mutual respect and trust are vital to open and honest communication. And of course, affection is essential to keeping the romance alive. Whenever you veer too far from your resolutions, return to these three pillars as a reminder of what sparked your bond in the first place.
Resolve to host your dream wedding with Trademark
As you embark on this new year as a couple, setting resolutions together can boost your relationship. If one of your New Year’s goals is to tie the knot, Trademark Venues can help. With five gorgeous locations to choose from and an array of unique amenities, Trademark has everything you and your partner need for a perfect wedding. Contact Trademark today for more information. The start of your happily ever after is within your reach.